Call us today on 01225 833013 / 07831 412582 to discuss your needs

How To Register A Death

If you would like to know how to register a death, here at G. Mannings Funeral Directors in Bath we can offer professional help and advice. Take a look at our guide below for more information and give us a call on 01225 833013 for any further questions.

Funeral Advice

Usually, a family member will register the death. However if a relative is not available the law allows certain other people to register:

  • Someone present at the death.
  • Someone who lived in the house where the person died.
  • The person responsible for making funeral arrangements i.e. the executor.
  • A responsible person from the hospital or home where the person died.

When a death occurs it must be registered within 5 days with the registrar for the area in which the death took place.

Documentation You Will Need

You will need the death certificate issued by the hospital or the GP. If a coroner was involved, they will issue the form for registration and send it to the registration office once the post-mortem has taken place. Other information you may need includes:

Information You Will Need

  • Date and place of death.
  • The NHS number of the person that has died.
  • The full name of the person that has died.
  • Any other names, for instance, if the person had changed their name.
  • Date and place of birth.
  • Their occupation and whether they were retired.
  • Their address.
  • Surname before marriage or civil partnership.
  • Full name and occupation of the wife, husband or civil partner.

Furthermore, you will also need to give your full name, address and relationship to the deceased.

Local Registration Offices



High Street



Telephone: 01225 477234


County Hall

Bythesea Road


BA14 8JN

Telephone: 0300 456 0100

Midsomer Norton

Midsomer Norton Library & Information Service

The Hollies, High Street

Midsomer Norton


Telephone: 01225 477234

Documentation Provided By The Registrar

  • A green form that will be given to the funeral director, allowing the funeral to proceed.
  • A white form (BD8) to be sent to the Dept of Work and Pensions, which gives details of pension or benefits.
  • A death certificate – there will be a minimal charge for this.

H. M. Coroner

There are a number of reasons why a death may need to be referred to a Coroner. However, this should not give cause for undue alarm. The Coroner is a judicial officer, independent of local and central government, who is required to act in accordance with certain laws. Any sudden or unexplained death must be reported to the Coroner who will ascertain the cause of death and if necessary, investigate any unusual circumstances.

Occasionally the Coroner may be able to establish by simple enquiry whether the death was due to natural causes, and therefore will allow a doctor to issue the death certificate. If this is not the case, a post-mortem examination may need to be held. This examination will usually indicate the cause of death and then the Coroner will issue the relevant paper work to the registrar and funeral director, allowing the funeral to proceed. However, if no obvious cause of death is found, toxicology may be required.

If the death is not due to natural causes, for example a road accident, the Coroner is obliged to hold an inquest. This is to determine:

  • The person’s identity.
  • When, how and where the death occurred.
  • The cause of death.

The inquest may be adjourned for several weeks while the relevant information is gathered. However, the Coroner will issue the relevant documentation for burial or cremation and provide the next of kin with an Interim Death Certificate until the inquest is finalised. This certificate can then be used for bank and insurance purposes.

The funeral director is fully conversant in this area, and we will liaise with the Coroner on your behalf.


When someone dies, somebody has to deal with their estate. This involves collecting the money, paying debts and distributing what remains to those who are entitled to it. Probate is the court’s authority, given to a person to administer the deceased’s estate and the document issued is called the Grant of Representation. This document is usually required by the asset holders as proof to show the correct person has the probate services’ authority to administer the deceased person’s estate. The probate service deals with ‘non-contentious’ probate business and issues Grants of Representation, either:

  • Probate – When a deceased person has left a valid will and an executor is acting.
  • Letters of administration with a will – When a person has left a valid will but no executor is acting.
  • Letters of administration – This is usually when there is no valid will.

These grants appoint people known as personal representatives to administer the deceased person’s estate.

Contact G. Mannings Funeral Directors

If you would like to know more information about how to register a death, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us today.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.